Monday, February 25, 2008

Outpostings?

I have gotten this question more and more frequently, so I figure I might as well explain the name of my blog. To begin with it is meant to be clever, so if you do not find it clever, we are just going to have to work harder at being friends I suppose. An outpost is something like, " A usually small military base established in another country," at least according to this site. That idea, coupled with the blogging also being known as "posting," and you get the name of my blog. This is the actual quote that got me going on this:
A colony is a beachhead, an outpost, an island of one culture in the middle of another, a place where the values of home are reiterated and passed on to the young, a place where the distinctive language and life-style of the resident aliens are lovingly nurtured and reinforced. We believe that the designations of the church as a colony and Christians as resident aliens are not too strong for the modern American church- indeed, we believe it is the nature of the church, at any time and in any situation, to be a colony.
William Willimon and Stanley Hauerwas
Resident Aliens, pg 12.
I agree with those guys, and my hope is that once in a while this blog does the nurturing, training and reinforcing talked about in the quote.

1 comment:

christian said...

Blue like Jazz on your shelfari! Great googlie-mooglie, just when I thought I had you figured out...